Pages

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Here's Plan B

The first time I ever saw The Purplechickens play was when they played with my cousin's band, Giniling Festival, in one of their first gigs I attended. This was probably in Mayric's (now Sazi's) circa 2003. Giniling Festival was fairly new, so they played last (I think) and unleashed one of the greatest local performances I've ever seen (before they started, Jeje shouted "ANG UMUWE, MAMAMATAY". golden.)

Anyway, one of the bands that night was, well, Purplechickens. I remember my cousin remarking, "galing nila 'no?". And I agreed completely. Like a small town boy getting told what to do.

After a year, the Purplechickens released their album Here's Plan B. Naturally, my cousin bought one out of admiration for the band and naturally, he shared the love.

And love I received. The album was smashing. Brilliant. Remarkable. Outstanding. I found myself listening to the album on a loop while playing NBA Live 2003. It was one of those records you'd love from start to finish. Just like the other 4 of my top 5 OPM albums (no order):

  • Cambio - Derby Light
  • Sugarfree - Sa Wakas
  • Itchyworms - Noon Time Show
  • Eraserheads - Natin99
A few years passed, I lost all data from my old PC. I was contacting the band about getting their last copy, but for some reason, the idea drifted. Recently, I was asking them again about it but they already have sold it.

So much for musical cravings.

One day, Kathy G., tweeted that she won P2,000 from the local lottery. And you just know I was gonna joke about getting balato. Instead of letting me in for free at her production that coming Saturday, she gave me a couple of links that literally made me want to cry. One of them was the record I've been craving for for the last 4 or so years.

Suddenly, I feel like one of the Survivor players where food was scarce and really cherished it when they won food rewards. It was amazing. I'm still listening to the album as of this writing. And yes, hints of tears.

No comments:

Post a Comment